19/04/2012

Let's get Nuts!


From the movies I've seen, Indians used to have a dance for the rain. Now maybe this is just some Hollywood folklore, or it might be true, but I'm wondering, do they have a dance for the sun aswell? Because if they do, I'm willing to give it a try.
I know rain is a good thing, specially because it didn't rain or snowed much this year during the winter, so I'm happy for our farmers aswell as for the water table. But the seasons feel a bit mess up, and that's what I'm complaining about!

So instead of trying to make the sun appear with some dancing (let's face it, my dancing skills would only bring ridicule), I'm trying it with some food instead, maybe if I make a sunny day dish, the sun will appear. And believe it or not, the only ray of sunshine today was when I was preparing this.
On sunny days I like to eat salads, all kinds of them. And the one combination I'm enjoying a lot these days is radish with avocado, both have a light nutty flavour but in a completly different way. Avocado brings a smooth and round taste to the salad, where the radish makes it sharp.

I actually didn't like radish as a kid, I thought the taste was too strong. But as with the beetroot lately, I've given it an other try. And that strong taste can bring, in little touches, a nice complement to a dish. To make this salad completly "nut" I though walnuts would be a nice addition.
As for the roquefort, it's actually inspired by Nigella (the real one, not my kitchenaid) because I saw her doing a roquefort guacamole once on her show, so I know the combination would work. Now come on sun, show yourself!

Avocado and Radish Salad


Serves 1

1 Avocado
4 Small Radishes
6-8 Walnuts, chopped
50gr of Roquefort
1 Tablespoon of Walnut Oil
1/2 a Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
Coarse Salt

Cut the avocado in halfs, take the pit out and remove the flesh. Cut the flesh into cubes and place them into a bowl, add the lemon juice, this will prevent the avocado from turning black and will replace the vinegar.

Clean the radishes and slice them thinly. Add them to the bowl with the chopped walnuts. Break the roquefort into small pieces, add them aswell to the bowl and using your hand, gently, mix the ingredients.

Pour the walnut oil on top of the salad, mix a little more. Sprinkle with some coarse salt, and eat preferably under the sun on a balcony, but in the inside will do too.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire