24/08/2012

Summer + Hot = Salad


Everybody is dreaming of white sand beaches, a clear blue ocean with palm trees in the background. Personnaly, right now I'm dreaming of a landscape caped in white snow with an igloo in the middle where I can "chill" (excuse me for the very bad wordplay here). I don't know how summer is where you live, but here lately, it feels like I'm the one being baked for a change.

So in order not to make it worse, here is an almost non cooking recipe, that I enjoy on a hot day. This one makes me particularly proud, not so much because of the recipe itself, which is great but not so original, but because it features my very own cherry tomatoes, that I grew on my balcony! Who knew those would be so forgiving to my not so green thumb.


With those temperatures, I'm spending time indoors instead and catch up on movies and TV shows. I also had the chance to see a documentary called "Miss Representation", that I would recommand you all to see. Even if it's very american-centered, it does show how hard it is for teenage girls to find a positiv female role model on TV or in the media, someone successful they could look up to. Geena Davis, Rachel Maddow and Katie Couric are part of it, even if they are some of the very few that made it, they are a great inspiration. Let's just hope for some more in the future!

Couscous Salad


Serves 2

200gr of Small Grains Couscous
1 Cucumber
12 Cherry Tomatoes
1 Small Red Onion
3 Tablespoons of Fresh Parsley
2 Tablespoons of Fresh Minth
1 Tablespoon of Butter
Coarse Salt
Olive Oil

Mesure the volume of the couscous by putting it in a glass, then pour the couscous into a bowl and fill up the glass with water to the height the couscous was. Heat up the water with a bit of salt, once it's boiling, pour it on the couscous and place a lid on top of the bowl, wait for about 5 minutes, for the water to be absorbed. Then using a fork and the butter, separate the grains carefully.

Wash the tomatoes, the cucumber and the herbs. Cut the tomatoes into quarters, peel the cucumber and cut them to about the same as the tomatoes. Dice the onion quite thinly, do the same with the parsley and the minth. In a bowl combine the couscous, the vegetables and the herbs (still using a fork), also add some good olive oil and coarse salt. Taste for seasoning and place in the fridge for a few hours, enjoy it when it's really cold.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire